Just twenty more radiation treatments to go. I’ve completed one third of them. The skin on my chest and back can attest to the fact that I’ve had treatments. It’s tender and, in a place or two, slightly inflamed as if I’ve been sunburned. I gather it will intensify. I’ve been less “beat” for the last two days, but past performance is no guarantee of future results. We shall see.
The possibility of switching oncologists got a bit more complex today. I got a phone call from Caris Life Sciences, which called to get help confirming my supplemental insurance information so they can call for pre-approval of a “molecular intelligence” assessment of the tissue taken from my biopsy. Apparently, based on what I’ve read on the company’s website, the assessment was ordered by my oncologist. The assessment is, as I understand it, undertaken to determine options with regard to immune checkpoint inhibitors. I gather, from this information alone, that my oncologist is exploring possibilities beyond the chemo-therapy and may be considering immunotherapy (which I gather can be both expensive and potentially dangerous with respect to side effects). At any rate, before I boot her from my care team, I want to ask her some more questions: 1) What is this Caris Life Sciences issue all about? 2) Was there any reason I was unaware of it and learned it from Caris instead of my health care team? 3) Am I the only patient you’ve had who has experienced serious problems in communications in both directions? My next visit with her won’t be until my next chemo treatment, January 28. I guess it will wait.
I got my hair cut yesterday. Not bald by any stretch, but short enough (on the sides) that shaving won’t be particularly noticeable if my hair begins to fall out. But I couldn’t bring myself to cut the top that short. No big deal, but just another thing on my list of things to think about.